South African Head Office
57 Swarthout Street, Doringkloof, Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa, 0157
From within South Africa: (012) 6709010 or (012) 6709022
From outside South Africa: (0027) 12 6709010 or (0027) 12 6709022
Office Hours Monday to Friday 9:00 to 15:00
Official South African Document Retrieval, Authentication and Legalisation Specialists
Vehicle Police Clearance
Document Authentication And Legalisation
Police Clearance Certificate
What is a Police Clearance Certificate?
A Police Clearance Certificate is the certificate issued by the Criminal Record Centre of the South African Police Services which is a record of your convictions. This certificate is widely known as a Police Clearance Certificate, Police Clearance, Criminal Record, Arrest Record, Criminal Record, Certificate of Good Conduct etc.
A police certificate is a copy of your criminal record or a declaration of the absence of any criminal record. Police certificates are different in each country and territory and may be called police clearance certificates, good conduct certificates, judicial record extracts, rap sheet, arrest record etc. They are issued by police authorities or government departments. In South Africa Police Clearance Certificates are issued by the Criminal Record centre of the SAPS.
Process to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate.
A) Obtain a set of official fingerprints
• In South Africa you must obtain the from your local Police Station. Important if you pay the R 96 at the
police Station in South Africa add the receipt to your documents.
• If you are out of South Africa you must obtain them from a official fingerprint taker in your host country
which can include the police services, post office or a appointed fingerprint taker.
• The fingerprints must be a full set taken on a official fingerprint form.
• If the host country does not want to use their fingerprints you can download the SAPS fingerprints from here.
C) Download and complete application for Police Clearance Certificate.
D) Make a good quality copy of your ID or passport.( Does not need to be certified)
E) Courier above documents to us at: (Documents can also be delivered)
57 Swarthout Street
F) On receipt of the application for a Police Clearance Certificate we will lodge the application at the Criminal Record Centre of the South African Police Service in Pretoria for processing. We hand in and collect direct at the Criminal record centre Head Office.
• We visit the CRC on a daily basis to lodge, collect and follow up on he issue of Police Clearance Certificates.
G Lead times for the issue of certificates.
• There is a minimum lead time of about 15 working days. And about 85% of the applications are finalised between 15 and 20 working days. • If the applicant has a prior conviction, irrespective of the severity and time elapsed, add between 15 and 30 working days to the lead time.
• POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES CANNOT BE EXPEDITED.
• Very important !!! Lead times are estimates and not guaranteed.
• After about 5 working days you application progress can be tracked here:
• Your certificate is usually ready for courier or collection after the 3rd working day it shows finalised on the system.
H) Cost and Fees:
• Service Fee excluding R 96-
• If R 96-
• Courier fees in South Africa R 150.
• Courier Fees over the borders of South Africa R 625.
• Forex fees if paid from a financial institution outside of South Africa, including PayPal R 170-
• Payment is due within 48 hours from invoice. No follow up on applications will be done before payment is received.
I) Please read Terms and Conditions
J) Please read Fees and Lead Times
Who needs a Police Clearance Certificate?
There is no hard and fast rule but the following can be taken as a guideline for a person 16 years and older who wants to immigrate, work or study in a foreign country you and your dependants may have to provide police certificates. Visa offices may also request certificates from students and temporary foreign workers.
• Wants to Emigrate.
• Wants permanent residency.
• Wants a work permit.
• Certain Visa applications.
• Certain types of occupations
Usually you must obtain Police Clearance Certificates from countries you visited for more than 6 consecutive months at a time.
How long is a Police Clearance Certificate valid for?
Again there is not a set rule but as a standard in the industry a maximum of 12 months. Some countries and organisations wants the police clearance certificates not to be older than 3 months. A re-
What information will there be recorded on a South African Police Clearance Certificate?
The following information is usually recorded.
` • Criminal judgements
• Outstanding traffic fines are not recorded.
• Judgements for Debt is not recorded.
Note: Certain criminal offences can be expunged after a period of 10 years has lapsed.
Can a Police Clearance Certificate be Legalised?
Official Police Clearance Certificates can be Apostilled, Legalised or Authenticated.
1.1. Obtain full set of fingerprints
1.2. Download the Client Sheet.
1.3. Download and Complete the Application form.
1.3. Make a Good quaility copy of your ID or passport
1.4. Courier or deliver to us
2. Cost and Fees:
• Fingerprint processing fee R 96-
• Service Fee R 445
• Forex Fees if paid from outside of South Africa R 170
• Courier Fee in South Africa R 150
• Courier Fee outside of South Africa R 625
• Collection by courier R 180
OUR NEW COLLECTION SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA
• Complete application for Collection
• Make payment of R 180 into the supplied bank account
• Use your initials and surname as reference.
• Scan and email us the application for collection and proof of payment.
• We will arrange for collection the following working day.